Challenges Faced in an ELT Classroom English is being used as the official language in most of Asian countries and is spoken as a second language but still there are certain obstacles in the learning and teaching of English language which is incorrect pronunciation all over the country.Some of these obstacles which are reason of incorrect pronunciation are discussed below:
- Over-crowded Classrooms: Majority of the people cannot afford to send their kids to a private school. Their only option therefore is the government institutions. This is why classrooms are overcrowded and the teacher is unable to attend every student individually. Therefore many students get neglected which is the main reason of incorrect pronunciation .
- Poor Spoken English/ Incorrect Pronunciation Usually teachers lack English speaking skills this is the main reason for incorrect pronunciation. They cannot pronounce words properly and as the students imitate their teacher they also speak in the same manner and as a result is incorrect pronunciation .
- Lack of Professional Training Most of the teachers at primary and secondary level lack professional training which resulted incorrect pronunciation. They are usually hired on the basis of a degree in English language or their proficiency in speaking English. Language teaching skills are often overlooked.
- Excessive Reliance on Guidebooks Both teachers and students rely heavily on guidebooks for teaching and learning English which is the main cause of incorrect pronunciation . These guides provide a word to word translation and answers to every question of the lesson and do not put an effort into understanding it by them.
- Outdated Teaching Methods A huge number of Asian teachers still follow old methods. There is no innovation in their teaching strategies. Besides there is also a lack of modern equipment such as A.V aids etc. But even without these aids there are many ways of making lessons interesting yet the teachers do not try and adopt them and which we can say is the main reason of incorrect pronunciation.
- No Conceptual Teaching English language students all over the country are taught a theory based curriculum. There are no practical lessons and no conceptual teaching due to which students find it difficult to speak English so incorrect pronunciation is delivered . Their main concern is to learn enough theory to get through the examination.
- Native Language the most important challenge faced by teachers as well as students is the native language. Students expect the teachers to translate their lessons in Urdu due to which they do not put an effort in understanding it and final output is incorrect pronunciation . Besides, the medium of instruction in majority of the schools is Urdu which also puts a hindrance in their language learning and reason of incorrect pronunciation .
- Parents do not Cooperate Even if teachers communicate with the students in English parents do not continue this practice at homes. Kids are usually laughed at for incorrect pronunciation which drops their confidence level and they cease to make efforts to learn the language.
- Teacher-Student Relationship Majority of the teachers in Asian are bad-tempered and do not appreciate questioning and discussions in the class. Due to this students are unable to share their issues and cannot overcome on incorrect pronunciation .
- Exposure to the Language A large number of students are not exposed to English language other than the course books. As the course books are mainly based on knowledge students do not take interest in them which results in the loss of interest in the language as a whole.
Recommendations for Overcoming these Challenges
- The government institutions should hire more English teachers so that every student can get enough attention and avoid incorrect pronunciation.
- While hiring an English language teacher, their proficiency in speaking the language should be kept in view rather than just relying on their degrees.
- Besides spoken English a practical test should be taken to judge the teaching skills of the candidate.
- Steps should be taken to prevent the guidebook culture. Teachers should encourage students to come up with their own answers and appreciate them for their creativity rather than criticizing minor mistakes.
- Workshops and refresher courses should be arranged for teachers on a regular basis so that they remain updated with the new methods of teaching. These courses should be mandatory for every teacher. Educational funds should also be increased so that the schools can be provided with audio-video aids and other modern equipment.
- The curriculum needs to be updated. There should be lessons about new discoveries and latest happenings around the world to develop the interest of the students. Practical lessons should also be introduced.
- Medium of instructions in the classroom should be English. Teachers should motivate the students to speak English rather than criticizing their mistakes on incorrect pronunciation students should be guided and appreciated for making efforts.
- Not only teachers but parents should also converse with their kids in English to boost up their confidence level.
- Teachers should build up a friendly environment in the classroom so that the students do not hesitate to communicate their problems with the teacher.
- Both teachers and parents should encourage the students to read English books other than those in the curriculum. It will increase their interest in the language and make leaning more effective. Although the ELT classrooms in Asian are confronted with so many challenges yet they are not very hard to overcome. It will only take some sincere efforts from the concerned people and English language teaching will become more and more effective.
Introduction of micro sensor of microbiology is the working and future aspect of micro sensors for microbiology how it is working? Which material is required? How much energy consumed to...more
World Wide Web Worm was the first search engine which was developed by Oliver McBryan from the University of Colorado in March 1994. This was not so popular because at the time...more
Drones are usually designed of same types ,they have four helicopter types wings and four of them are at the corner which keep them balance and helps them in flying...more
The approach that are being used now a days for mobile security are failing to understand how their implementation can have effect on the device if they are using technology from a no mobile platform.These are the ways that can be used to make security of mobile devices certainFirst if the antivirus is similar to its desktop variant there is...more
Drones are more officially known as unmanned airborne vehicles (UAV). A drone is an untitled airliner in technology. For all intents and purposes a drone is a flying Robot. The airliner may...more
The word nano means microscopic and 3D printing means process of making objects in 3D.This is made by storing the design in the computer. The object is formed by continuous layers of the material by it is formed. The object shape is controlled by the computer. Various shapes can be made easily. 3D printing is now-a-days being used widely to...more
We are making so much progress in the field of science today that so much numerous inventions are made that we never get to truly appreciate the progress that we...more
Power line monitoring drones designed to monitor the power lines as can be understood by the name.Drones are planes of small size which are remotely controlled by a pilot.Power lines are stretched...more
Basically veracity refers many types of sources and different types of data are in structured form or unstructured form which is used to stored data from source such as spreadsheets...more
It is the first type of cloud computing where the service provider keeps all the data of its host on a virtual machine. It provides services, hardware ,software etc on the behave...more
Scientists and researchers believe that super human qualities are much greater than other human beings. Advance Scientific experiments create such extraordinary qualities to the super DNA which we only think....more
Human beings produce a lot of energy that mostly goes to waste.
We are looking for the new ways of producing energy or power from the humans heat or energy, new methods of consuming...more
Locker room drones are also a type of interview drones as they can be use in locker room drones .The main purpose of drones flying all over the locker rooms is to...more